Every home needs a kitchen. And in every kitchen, there have to be some appliances that help make the process of cooking faster and neater. These appliances also make cooking fun and stress-free to do. Some kitchen appliances are not so necessary, and things can still be done without them. But some of them are rather important, and they play a significant role in hastening the whole process of cooking.
One of these appliances is the food steamer. A food steamer, or steam cooker is a small kitchen appliance that is used to make various kinds of foods with the aid of steam heat. The food is put in a sealed vessel that reduces to the barest minimum, the escape of air or liquids. So basically, a food steamer is an appliance that cooks food not in boiling water, but rather, above it. This helps whatever is being cooked in it to retain the nutrients it contains and also be well cooked and succulent.
Steaming one's food has been proven to be one of the healthiest ways of making food. This is because your food will retain all its nutrients and where a normal cooker might burn your food, you don't run that kind of risk with a food steamer.
It is very possible that not all kinds of food can be cooked with a food steamer, but there are some that can be. These kinds of food include:
• Meat: normally, cooked or fried meat shrinks in size and this could reduce the value in the eyes of the consumer, especially if you're selling it. Steaming your meat instead helps it maintain its size, and it stays succulent.
• Fish: fish is another kind of food that comes with a lot of nutrients which the body needs in large quantities. After making sure your fish is properly washed, you can add ingredients to it and steam it properly.
• Vegetables: vegetables lose nutrients when they're overcooked. And this is almost always the situation when we cook them, because they get soft very fast under extreme temperatures. Steaming your vegetables is one way to ensure that the nutrients stay intact and you enjoy the great taste of well-prepared veggies.
• Rice: electric rice cookers also do a great job of cooking rice in perfect grains and not leaving them sticking together or burnt.
Steaming ones food is a straight forward method and is also very easy, especially when you're making use of a food steamer. Here are a few tips on how to steam your food properly:
• Cut your food into equal sizes so they can cook evenly.
• Add enough liquid into the steamer that would last it the entire steaming time for the food. This is because opening the lid of your steamer frequently will cause the temperature to drop.
• Leave enough space between each piece of food to help the heat and steam circulate well enough to cook every piece evenly.
• Add aromatic ingredients to your food to give it more flavor.
On Jumia, you can easily find brands like Elekta, Philips, Konka and Delux food steamers that would help you cook your food in the exact way you want it. Simply search for whichever brand you need, compare prices and purchase whichever suits your needs best. Buy rice, vegetable and meat steamers with no stress and have them delivered to your doorstep in no time.